Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Last Minute Pet Sitting


Why do people that have been planning a vacation or even a short "get-a-way" wait until the day before they are leaving to call a pet sitter/dog walker? They're getting ready to leave one of their most precious possessions, their pet, with a complete stranger. I was called by two different clients the day before their departure within days of each other. I was so stressed out because of this last minute run for the initial consultation, getting key,etc that I decided I will no longer take last minute clients.


If someone is looking for a pet sitter/dog walker they need to do their research. Checking references can't be done last minute. Not every pet sitter/dog walker fits with every pet. There are many factor involved: is the pet sitter insured? what hours will the pet sitter be willing to go to the pet's home?etc.


I'd like to educate pet owners to have a "meet & greet" early on. One never knows what will come up. If a pet owner has a pet sitter lined up for emergencies then there is one less thing to worry about and that is, "Who will care for my pets, oh no?"

3 comments:

  1. My rule is I won't take anyone with less than one week's notice unless they have a valid reason and/or were referred by a really good current client. Two weeks for holidays. When I would take any and all clients those clients always wound up being problems for me down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barri,
    What a good rule. I plan on implementing this.
    No petsitting unless I get a one week notice. Yes, and two weeks for holidays. I plan on sticking to this. Just as you said these are the clients that end up being more trouble than they are worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gotten very selective about last minute louies...I def. do NOT take any new clients over the holidays that call a day or two (or one!) before they are scheduled to leave. Usually the times I have bent this rule....I got burnt....

    ReplyDelete